Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Pandora's Box

Well, we finally did it. This past weekend my wife and I unlocked the gates of hell! We hooked up our TV to rabbit ears in order to receive the local, non-cable channels. Ever since last spring when we moved into out current place, we had not done this. In our last apartment we had free cable, and when we moved we never got around to hooking the damn thing up again. Instead, we watched lots of movies on DVD's. But this past weekend my wife talked me into hooking it up again. She said she just wanted to watch PBS. Unfortunately neither of us has that kind of self-control. Is the dam's floodgates thrown wide? Hopefully I've gotten over my addiction. Time will tell.
Comments:
I know exactly what you're talking about... Funny thing, we did away with cable when we moved from Boise to Coeur d'Alene, but I did immediately hook up this fancy antenna that you plug into the wall socket for extra power. Even with that, we could only get three channels well. So, we just started learning not to watch a lot of those shows that we used to love. Anything on Fox and ABC, basically. And that's the way it was until we moved to the new house. During the move, I lost our "fancy antenna" and went out to buy just a regular old $7 pair of rabbit ears. I hook those up and all of a sudden we're getting excellent reception on all five networks! Turns out that more expensive antenna was faulty and we never knew it for two years. Oh well, it did help break out TV addiction. Still, we do watch a lot of DVDs, probably two movies a week and two or three TV episodes (seems like every show comes out on DVD). We especially love Lost, Battlestar Galactica, Scrubs, and CSI. I enjoy watching them on disc because you can pack a whole season into one weekend and it's quite a thrill to realize the whole scope of a storyline without having to wait. Plus, no commercials!

I still turn on the regular TV some nights and catch whatever might be on... Usually by that time it's the news and Letterman. I just don't get worked up about the TV shows on the air, because I know that if it's a good show there will be a DVD release of it soon.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?